R 211023Z JUL 17
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MM//
SUBJ/FY19 HEADQUARTERS MARINE CORPS SPECIAL DUTY ASSIGNMENT VOLUNTEER PERIOD (SDAVP)//
REF/A/MSGID: DOC/MMEA-85/15OCT 2012//
AMPN/REF A IS MCO P1326.6D W CH2, SELECTING, SCREENING, AND PREPARING ENLISTED MARINES FOR SPECIAL DUTY ASSIGNMENTS AND INDEPENDENT DUTIES (SDAMAN).//
POC/D. P. HOOPER/CAPT/MMEA-25/TEL: (703)784-9335//
POC/I. O. GOUDYREV/CAPT/MMEA-25/TEL: (703)-432-9472//
POC/R. R. FELICIANO/MSGT/MMEA-25/TEL: (703)432-9476//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. This message announces the Fiscal Year(FY) 2019 Headquarters Marine Corps (HQMC) Special Duty Assignment Volunteer Period (SDAVP) and provides coordinating instructions for requesting billets as Recruiter, Drill Instructor, Combat Instructor, Marine Security Guard, and Marine Corps Security Forces Security Guard. During the SDAVP, qualified volunteers will be given an opportunity to request first priority assignment to billets in the FY19 Special Duty Assignments or remaining FY18 billets.
2. Background. A successful SDA tour is a hallmark for a competitive Marine and makes him or her exceptionally qualified for promotion. In addition to opportunities for SNCO meritorious promotions, financial incentives, and duty station preference, an SDA tour is intellectually rewarding and physically and mentally challenging. In order to allow volunteers to have a first look at FY19 available SDA billets, HQMC is creating a volunteer submission period, immediately preceding the involuntary screening and assignment period via the HQMC SDA Screening Team (HSST).
3. Situation. From the publication date of this MARADMIN to 31 December 2017, HQMC will accept and review volunteer packages for potential assignment to an SDA of the Marines choice. Upon conclusion of FY19 SDAVP, HQMC will continue to accept and screen volunteers: however, volunteers will no longer have priority for ssignment and may be restricted by primary MOS requirements. The screening and involuntary assignment of remaining USMC population of qualified applicants will begin immediately after FY19 SDAVP via the FY19 HSST.
4. Execution. During FY19 SDAVP HQMC is accepting volunteers from all MOSs. The following MOSs have open FY18 SDA allocations and are accepting volunteers for assignment to FY18 classes: 0111, 0311, 0369, 0619, 0629, 0648, 065X, 0689, 0699, 26XX, 28XX, 3043, 3051, 61XX, 621X, 622X, 6276, 7372.
4.a. Marines must meet 24 months Time-On-Station (TOS) in the geographical location prior to the start date of the SDA class.
4.b. Marines who have executed a lateral move into their present MOS are not eligible to submit for voluntary assignment unless they have completed 36 months in that MOS prior to class start date.
4.c. Marines who have previously completed an SDA must have been in the operating forces for a minimum of 24 months prior to class start date.
4.d. Marines who wish to volunteer for assignment to an SDA must submit a “SDA RELM” using the Total Force Retention System (TFRS) to HQMC with the assistance of the unit career planner.
4.e. There will be a limited number of allocations for non-infantry Marines for assignment to the School of Infantry (SOI) and Marine Corps Security Forces (MCSF). Each request will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
4.f. Career planners should include a comment in the RELM about the Marines preference.
5. Marines that volunteer for an SDA during this period, and are eligible to reenlist during FY18, will qualify for a FY18 Selective Retention Bonus (SRB) SDA Kicker. Amplifying details for individual qualifications and the SRB amounts will be released via separate correspondence.
6. Questions regarding the FY19 SDAVP should be referred to POCs listed above.
7. Release authorized by MajGen Michael A. Rocco, Director, Manpower Management Division.//